Student Guardian Visa (Subclass 590) - 590 Visa

Home Student Guardian Visa (Subclass 590)
590 visa 590

Student Guardian Visa (Subclass 590) - 590 Visa

In general, this Student Guardian visa allow parent/parents(mother, father or both parents) come to Australia to provide due care and support for child (a student visa holder) who is under 18 years of age or older due to exceptional circumstances.

Eligibility for Student Guardian Visa

  • The Student Guardian must be the student’s parent, custodian or relative who is 21 years or older
  • The Student Guardian must have enough money to support yourself and the student during your stay
  • The Student Guardian must be able to provide accommodation, welfare and other support
590 visa
subclass 590 visa

Anyone Can Apply for a Student Guardian 590 visa?

The Student Guardian must be:


  • the parent of the student visa holder, or
  • a person who has custody of the student, or
  • a relative of the student, aged 21 years or older, nominated in writing by a parent or person who has custody of the student


The Student Guardian will provide care and support for:


  • a student visa holder who is under 18 years of age or
  • a student visa holder who is 18 years of age or older and needs care and support due to exceptional circumstances


For this 590 visa, a relative is the student’s:


  • parent or step-parent
  • grandparent or step-grandparent
  • sibling or stepsibling
  • aunt, uncle, step-aunt or step-uncle
  • niece, nephew or step-niece or step-nephew
  • partner
  • child or stepchild

The Requirements of 590 Visa

  • Have a certain visa
  • Be a parent, a custodian or a relative
  • Be able to provide for the student
  • Have enough money for your stay
  • Bringing children
  • Make welfare arrangements for dependants overseas
  • Have adequate health insurance
  • Be a genuine temporary entrant
  • Meet health requirement
  • Meet character requirement
  • Sign the Australian values statement
  • Have no debt to the Australian Government
  • Not have had a visa cancelled or a previous application refused
  • Best interests of the child

Conditions on 590 Visa

The conditions on Student Guardian are as follows:-

  • The Guardian can not work
  • The Guardian can work  but there is a limitation
  • The Guardian can only study Maximum 3 months . The guardian can study up to 20 hours a week on an English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS).
  • The Guardian must have an adequate health insurance
  • The Guardian can not arrive before person specified in visa
  • The Guardian  must continue to satisfy the criteria for the grant of the visa
  • The Guardian is not allowed further stay
  • The Guardian  must  live with the student and provide for their accommodation, support and welfare
  • The Guardian  must  not leave Australia without the student without the Department’s approval – can’t just leave – it’s breach of the condition – If your circumstance is changed and need to go back to your country? Contact us to discuss!

If the Student Guardian is in Australia

The Student guardian can apply for 590 visa onshore, a person must hold a substantive visa except the following visa:

  • Domestic Worker (Temporary) Diplomatic and Consular visa (subclass 426)
  • Temporary Work (International Relations) visa (subclass 403) in the Domestic Worker (Diplomatic or consular) stream
  • Diplomatic (Temporary) visa (subclass 995) – primary visa holder only. A family member of a Diplomatic (Temporary) visa (subclass 995) can apply for a Student visa in Australia
  • Transit visa (subclass 771)
  • Visitor visa (subclass 600) in the Sponsored Family stream or in the Approved Destination Status stream

Book an appointment today with our Registered Migration Agents in Sydney

CALL NOW 0403 118 515

error: Alert: @ H&A Migration