How long can you stay in Australia with Student visa?
The student visa (Subclass 500) allows the applicant to remain in Australia for up to 5 years for the purpose of full-time study at accredited educational institutions.
Australia Student Visa (Subclass 500)
Who is eligible for the student visa (Subclass 500)?
The applicant must have received a full-time study offer from an Australian education institution. The applicant will be asked to provide your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) in your application (in order to get CoE, you need to pay the tuition fee).
Application fee for Student visa 500
$620 (AUD) in 2019
Requirement of Student Visa (Subclass 500) – 500 Student visa Checklist
The Department of Home Affairs has provided a checklist list on their website. This will guide you what you have to prepare when applying for the Student visa (Subclass 500).
- Evidence of your identity
- Special categories
- Welfare arrangements for under 18 year old student
- Parentall consent
- Health insurance
- Evidence of financial capacity
- Evidence of English language ability
- Genuine Temporary Entrant requirement
- Change of name
- Relationship – spouse, de facto partner
- Employment history
- Migration agent – Form 956 Advice by a migration agent/exempt person
- Appointment or withdrawal of an authorised recipient – Form 956A
- Evidence of school enrolment for dependants
- Research Students
Will I need to provide an IELTS score for my Student visa (Subclass 500)?
The applicant may be required to provide an IELTS score for his/her visa application. However, there are some exemptions:
The applicant does not need to provide evidence of an English test score with your visa application if one of the following applies:
- The applicant is a citizen and hold a passport from UK, USA, Canada, NZ or Republic of Ireland
- The applicant is an applicant who is a Foreign Affairs or, Defence sponsored student or a Secondary Exchange student (AASES)
- The applicant enrolled in a principal course of study that is a registered school course, a standalone English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS), a course registered to be delivered in a language other than English, or a registered post-graduate research course
- The applicant has completed at least 5 years’ study in English in one or more of the following countries: Australia, UK, USA, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, or the Republic of Ireland
- in the 2 years before applying for the student visa, you completed, in Australia and in the English language, either the Senior Secondary Certificate of Education or a substantial component of a course leading to a qualification from the Australian Qualifications Framework at the Certificate IV or higher level, while you held a student visa.
I am 16 years old. Can I apply for a Student visa (subclass 500) ?
If the applicant is under the age of 18, the applicant will be asked to demonstrate that he/she has welfare and financial arrangements for the duration of their study.
Evidence of accommodation and welfare arrangements in Australia if the applicant is under 18 years of age must be provided to make a valid application.
This must be one of the following:
- Form 157N – Nomination of a student guardian in Australia
- confirmation of appropriate accommodation and welfare letter from the student’s education provider
- an acceptance advice of secondary exchange student form for secondary exchange students only
- letter of Support from the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade or the Australian Department of Defence stating that arrangements have been made for the student’s welfare.
What is the processing time for the Student Visa 500?
Processing can vary depending on the educational sector:
- Foreign Affairs or Defence Sector
- 75% of applications in 12 days
- 90% of applications in 30 days
- Postgraduate Research Sector
- 75% of applications in 56 days
- 90% of applications in 6 months
- Non-Award Sector
- 75% of applications in 28 days
- 90% of applications in 44 days
- Schools Sector
- 75% of applications in 41 days
- 90% of applications in 84 days
- Independent ELICOS Sector
- 75% of applications in 36 days
- 90% of applications in 44 days
- Vocational Education and Training Sector
- 75% of applications in 43 days
- 90% of applications in 77 days
- Higher Education Sector
- 75% of applications in 29 days
- 90% of applications in 42 days
Is it necessary to hold Health Insurance (OSHC) for my Student visa Australia (Subclass 500)?
YES. The applicant must obtain student health insurance at least one week before the course commence.
If the education provider arranged the applicant’s OSHC, the applicant will need to include the name of his/her health insurance provider and the dates their policy starts and finishes. If the applicant is from Norway, Sweden or Belgium, they might not have to obtain OSHC.
How many hours I can work with my Student visa 500?
The holder of a Student visa can work up to 20 hours per week or 40 hours fortnightly (2 weeks). That means, the student can only work part time once the course starts. However, if you are an ACT student please remember this. In ACT, international students enrolled in public schools can only work 10 hours maximum during the academic school year.
How do I extend my Visa?
There are few options to extend the Student visa. One is the applicant needs to apply for a new student visa or the applicant may consider to apply for another types of Subclass visa.
H&A Migration will guide you and find you the most suitable visa option for you to stay in Australia.
I have successfully completed the Certificate IV or Diploma course. This results can be used instead of English tests for a Student visa application?
YES. This can be used instead to pass the English language requirement.
Free Case Appraisal
Have a Visa enquiry? Let us know. Leave us your detail and we'll call you back as soon as possible.
0403 118 515
business visa Australia, family sponsored visa, partner visa, rsms visa,, parents visa, visitor visa Australia for parents, sponsor visa Australia, sponsor visa, graduate visa Australia, post graduate visa, skilled visa Australia, skilled independent visa, student visa, second year visa Australia, investment visa Australia, temporary graduate visa, spouse visa Australia, de facto visa Australia, extend student visa Australia, bridging visa Australia, visitor visa Australia, parents visitor visa Australia, partner visa 820
Book an appointment today with our Registered Migration Agents in Sydney
CALL NOW 0403 118 515
What is the required IELTS/PTE score ?
|English language test providers||Minimum score||Minimum score and at least 10 weeks English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS)||Minimum score and at least 20
|International English Language Testing System (IELTS)||5.5||5||4.5|
|TOEFL internet-based test||46||35||32|
|Cambridge English: Advanced (Certificate in Advanced English)||162||154||147|
|Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic)||42||36||30|
|Occupational English Test
|B for each test component||N/A||N/A|